Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Motorcycle Wiring


A friend came over to help me with some motorcycle wiring problems I have been having. My first problem was with the brake light; it wasn't coming on when I applied the brakes. To test this, he pulled the brake lever and I checked the light, since I can't pull the lever and see the light at the same time. Turned out only the foot lever wasn't registering the light. This was fixed by a simple adjustment to the switch position. Took about 5 minutes. My friend made the adjustment and said,

"Well that was easy. Now what?"

I thought for a minute and decided we should check the headlights, the high beams were not coming on. So we fiddled with the lights, got them taken apart He pulled on the wires for the high beams and said, "oh, well here's your problem." Turns out I never did wire the high beams. That would definitely explain why they weren't coming on. I decided I didn't want to mess with wiring those in right then, so we put them back together.

"Well, that was easy. Now what?"

I thought for another minute and decided that my turn signals were next. They weren't working either. We took the light bulb out, checked to make sure it was good, it was. We moved to the bars where the mechanism to turn them on is. Took this all apart and cleaned it up a little since it was all sticky. This didn't fix it and we couldn't take it apart anymore to look at the actual switch. I decided we should trace the wires out of the switch to see where they went. Followed them to one end of a connector….that wasn't connected to anything. My friend hooked it back into the other end of the connector since I couldn't reach. Guess what? Turn signals worked! So did the horn. Amazing how that works. When you connect the wires to where they are supposed to go, they work!

"Well, that was easy. Now what?"

Well that was all I had to do. After about an hour of work, we had fixed all the electrical problems I was having with my bike. I wish it was all that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment