Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Curtains!



So I made some curtains. I am not going to go through every step and teach you how, but I'd like to highlight a few of the harder things. Well, I guess it wasn't really that hard, I just don't sew much. They are good high quality curtains though! I even put a lining on the back to protect them from fading and sun rot! That was kinda tricky because the fabric on the front is thick and heavy, the tabs at the top are thick and heavy and I had to sew the front and the tabs to the lining all at once! So the really light weight lining (lighter than a sheet) wouldn't sit still very well, even with all the pinning I did. But, after about 10 hours of work, they are complete!



I don't think they clash with my tablecloth too much, but I'm open to your opinions.





I didn't have to take any stitching out and re-do it, I did have to unpin something I had pinned backwards, but that's much less frustrating than taking out stitching. And, I did it all on this ancient beast!



This old singer was purchased by my Grandma on October 30, 1960. It still works! Pretty well too, I don't really have too many problems with it. The pedal is a little sticky and hard to control for subtle changes, but I got used to that. It doesn't always do exactly the same size stitches and it doesn't feed the fabric very well so sometimes when I thought I was sewing straight, there were little jumps left and right, but unless you really get close and inspect my stitching, you can't tell. All in all, I am quite pleased with how they turned out and my ability to actually do it! Mom, you'll make a sewer of me yet!

3 comments:

  1. They look AWESOME, womah! I looked at the first picture before reading anything and thought - oh that's easy! Just buy some panels and sew coordinating fabric in the middle of them and BAM! Custom cutrains! But you're much more inspiring than me! Nice work! :D

    As for the tablecloth... it's hard to tell in the pictures, but it does seem too red for the subtle reds in the fabric of the curtains. Like I said though, it's hard to tell what it looks like up close and personal from pictures. If you change it, show it off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'd be hard to make you a "sewer" as you aren't made of pipes! (and you don't stink!)
    Sorry - I just saw that and couldn't help it!

    ReplyDelete